News

BBC bosses apologize for ‘Doctor Who’ leak

BBC bosses apologize for ‘Doctor Who’ leak

Peter Capaldi arrives for the World Premiere of World War Z at a central London cinema, Sunday, June 2, 2013. Photo: Associated Press/Joel Ryan/Invision

Bosses at the BBC have apologized for the leak of Peter Capaldi‘s debut as Doctor Who branding the incident a “damaging mistake”.

The Oscar winner’s highly-anticipated debut as the Time Lord was slated to be broadcast next month, but six weeks before the full episode is set to air, a rough copy of the show as well as five scripts and six more episodes from the season were posted on the Internet earlier this week.

Writer Steven Moffat urged Doctor Who fans to resist the temptation to watch the leaked copy, and now executives at the network have said sorry for the incident.

A statement from company bosses reads, “We would like to thank Doctor Who fans everywhere for their amazing efforts in helping us contain the recent leaks. The mistake was damaging and resulted in the exposure of five scripts and the first six unfinished episodes from Series 8 on a publicly accessible FTP site.

“While there is still a risk that this leak will result in more of this content emerging, so far the impact has been contained to a limited amount of this material through a combination of fans efforts and the plan that we put in place using new technology and internal manpower to limit any illegal activity.

“We would particularly like to thank the fansite moderators and Doctor Who devotees who have actively protected the program. BBC Worldwide has taken this issue extremely seriously and disciplinary action has been implemented as a result of the incident.

“Our sincere apologies again to Steven Moffat, the cast and production team who toil long hours to make the show in Cardiff, the BBC, and of course the fans who expect so much better.”

According to BBC.co.uk, the leaked video and scripts are believed to have been stolen from a BBC Worldwide office in the U.S.

Latest Headlines

8 hours ago in Local

Police: Man Sexually Assaulted 73-Year-Old Woman at Gunpoint

ARREST

Police have arrested a 32-year-old Waterville man after they say he broke into the home of a 73-year-old woman and sexually assaulted her at gunpoint this past weekend.

10 hours ago in Local

LePage Withdraws His Nomination for Maine Education Chief

LEPAGE VETOING BUDGET 062013

Maine Gov. Paul Page is temporarily withdrawing his nomination of Bill Beardsley as education commissioner because he says Democrats plan to reject Beardsley for reasons unrelated to his qualifications for the job.

10 hours ago in Local

No Settlement in Lawsuit Over Stun Gunned Man’s Death

GENERIC COURT LARGE

No settlement has been reached after a day-long federal court hearing about a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the father of a man who died several days after police subdued him with a stun gun.

11 hours ago in Local

Maine’s Gov: Trump Owes Me for Showing How to be Outspoken

Lepage and Christie 101414

Maine Gov. Paul LePage says fellow Republican Donald Trump owes him for paving the way when it comes to being outspoken.

16 hours ago in Local

Police Issue a Statement on Double Stabbing in Portland

police

On Tuesday, at about 3:30 am officers responded to a 911 call for persons fighting in the area of 132 Marginal Way.

Tweets

  • 7h
  • 10h
  • 10h
  • 16h
  • 17h
  • 17h
  • 18h