News

Judge to pick court in Spike Lee’s wrong Zimmerman address tweet

Judge to pick court in Spike Lee’s wrong Zimmerman address tweet

WRONG ADDRESS: Filmmaker Spike Lee claps during a community memorial service at the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama Sept. 15. He is accused of tweeting the wrong address while discussing the George Zimmerman case on the microblogging site. Photo: Reuters/Marvin Gentry

By Elizabeth Dilts

(Reuters) – A judge will decide this week which court will hear a lawsuit against filmmaker Spike Lee over a tweet that misidentified an elderly couple’s address in Florida as the home of George Zimmerman.

Less than a month before the tweet was posted, Zimmerman, a white, Hispanic neighborhood watch captain, shot and killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teenager walking in his Sanford, Florida, housing complex.

Elaine McClain, 72, filed the lawsuit in Florida state court this fall, claiming Oscar-nominated director Lee encouraged “a dangerous mob mentality” when he tweeted her address to 240,000 followers.

On March 23, 2012, Lee tweeted, “George Zimmerman…” followed by the address of McClain and her husband. A lawyer for McClain said the mother of seven, who is also a great grandmother, lives about 15 miles away from Zimmerman.

On July 13 Zimmerman was acquitted of the shooting that sparked international outrage amid critics’ claims it was racially motivated.

Lee moved for the case be tried in federal district court in Orlando on the basis that the damages sought meet the minimum to be tried in a federal court, but a magistrate judge recommended last week the case be kept in state court.

It is up to U.S. District Court Judge John Antoon in Orlando to decide this week where the legal battle will take place.

Neither Lee’s attorney nor spokesman could immediately be reached for comment.

After Lee posted his initial tweet, McClain said in the lawsuit, her address was retweeted by Lee’s followers with menacing messages like, “Let the PURGE BEGIN,” and “LETS THROW THE BRO A SURPRISE PARTY! *LOADS GUN*”.

The McClains accepted a settlement on March 29, in which Lee apologized and paid Elaine McClain and her husband $10,000, court documents said.

But the McClains said that is not enough. The couple continues to receive death threats, was forced to stay at a hotel during Zimmerman’s trial, and has been unable to sell the house, according to their lawsuit.

Julia Young, a Florida plaintiff’s lawyer representing the McClains, said the terms of the settlement do not prevent them from taking legal action.

The couple is seeking unspecified damages and attorneys’ fees.

Latest Headlines

in Local

Maine to Close Parts of State to Rockweed Harvest

WGAN-100x100

Maine officials are working on a plan to close ecologically sensitive parts of the state to rockweed harvesting on the state's coast.

in Local

Data Breach Reported at Portland’s Otto Pizza

WGAN-100x100

A pizza chain says the credit card numbers of 900 customers were potentially exposed in a data breach at two pizza restaurants in Portland, Maine.

in Local

Maine Town Puts Moratorium on Wind Energy Projects

GENERIC WINDMILLS

Residents of a Maine town are calling for a six-month moratorium on wind energy projects.

in Local

LePage Applauds Plan to Help Aging Population

governorlepage

Republican Gov. Paul LePage says Democrats have finally seen the light on issues related to Maine seniors.

in Local

Lewiston Man Gets Time Served In Slaying Case

Sebastian Moody

AUBURN, Maine (AP) - A Lewiston man charged with falsifying evidence into the investigation of a slaying has been sentenced to time served.