News

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

KIDNAPPED:Protesters hold signs during a march in support of the girls kidnapped by members of Boko Haram in front of the Nigerian Embassy in Washington May 6. Photo: Reuters/Gary Cameron

ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigerian police offered a 50 million naira ($300,000) reward on Wednesday to anyone who can give credible information leading to the rescue of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist rebels.

Last month’s mass kidnapping by militant group Boko Haram in the remote northeastern village of Chibok triggered an international outcry and protests in Nigeria, piling pressure on the government to get the girls back.

President Barack Obama says the immediate priority is finding nearly 300 teenage girls who were kidnapped from their school in Nigeria three weeks ago.

But Obama says the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram must also be dealt with.

The brazen April 15 abduction has sparked international outrage.

And Obama says in an interview with NBC’s “Today” that he’s glad the Nigerian government is accepting help from U.S. military and law enforcement advisers.

The White House says U.S. armed forces are not being sent.

(Reporting by Camillus Eboh; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Latest Headlines

in Local

Handcuffed Man who Fled Police Back in Custody

Fresh
GENERIC HANDCUFFS

OTISFIELD, Maine (AP) _ A suspect who escaped from a state trooper's vehicle while wearing handcuffs earlier this week is back in custody.

in Local

Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Against Maine Newsletter

Fresh
GENERIC COURT LARGE

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) _ A federal judge has dismissed a defamation lawsuit brought by Pan Am Railways and its former president against a small Maine-based industry newsletter.

in Local

Man Sentenced for Maine Home Invasion

Fresh
GENERIC HANDCUFFS

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) _ A Massachusetts man has been sentenced to serve six months in jail for his role in a home invasion in Maine in April.

in Local

Lewiston Man Gets 6 Years for Sex Assault on Child

Fresh
GENERIC PRISON LARGE

FARMINGTON, Maine (AP) _ A Lewiston man has been sentenced to six years in prison for sexually assaulting a young child.

in Sports, Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: Team’s ‘Ugly Kardashian’ trick play

17-overlay2

Lewis and Clark Middle School's football team gets tricky with a special play called the "Ugly Kardashian."