News

Pigskin-picking camel dies before Super Bowl

Pigskin-picking camel dies before Super Bowl

SHE PICKS WINNERS: John Bergmann, general manager of Popcorn Park Zoo in Lacey Township N.J. scratches the neck of Princess, a Bactrian camel famous for her ability to correctly predict the winner of football games. Photo: Associated Press

LACEY TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey’s pigskin-prognosticating camel has died just weeks before the state is set to host its first Super Bowl.

Princess was a fixture at the Popcorn Park Zoo in Lacey Township for 10 years and gained fame for picking winners.

Zoo manager John Bergmann tells the Asbury Park Press the 26-year-old Bactrian camel was euthanized after arthritis made it impossible for her to stand.

Princess’ made her picks with graham crackers. Bergmann would hold one in each hand, marked with the names of the competing teams. Whichever hand she chose was her prediction.

Princess correctly picked the Baltimore Ravens in last year’s Super Bowl.

Her best run came in the 2008 season, when she picked 17 of 22 games correctly, including the Pittsburgh Steelers to win Super Bowl XLIII.

Latest Headlines

in Local

Michaud Raises $430K, Cutler Brings in $419K

MICHAUD-CUTLER

Gubernatorial candidate Mike Michaud has raised more than $430,000 in the latest filing period.

in Local

Maine’s Great Northern Paper Files for Bankruptcy

Newsradio WGAN

Great Northern Paper Co. LLC has filed for bankruptcy.

in Local

Police: Scarborough Teen Accused of Bringing Knife to School

Germano

SCARBOROUGH, Me (WGAN News) - A Scarborough High School student was arrested after police said he brought a knife to school Tuesday morning.

in Local

Michaud Will Debate Cutler Without Gov. LePage

MICHAUD-CUTLER

Gubernatorial candidate Mike Michaud says he will debate independent Eliot Cutler one-on-one if Gov. Paul LePage refuses to participate.

in Local

Maine Drumstick Factory Survives Fire

GENERIC FIRE 1

A Maine factory that makes drumsticks avoided serious structural damage in a fire that occurred when a water cooler overheated.