News

Boston bombing suspect wants additional lawyer

Boston bombing suspect wants additional lawyer

This courtroom sketch shows defendant Robel Phillipos, center, standing with his defense attorney Derege Demissie, left, before Federal Magistrate Marianne Bowler, right, in U.S. District Court in Boston, Monday, May 6, 2013. Phillipos, a friend of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was released from federal custody while he awaits trial for allegedly lying to federal investigators probing the bombings. Photo: Associated Press/Jane Flavell Collins

BOSTON (AP) — The defense team for the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect has made another attempt to add a national death penalty expert to its roster.

In papers filed Monday in federal court, lawyers for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev sought to add David Bruck to the defense team.

Tsarnaev’s court-appointed lawyers asked in April that Bruck be added to the team, but the motion was denied.

His lawyer said in the new motion that the 19-year-old Tsarnaev now faces 17 charges that carry the death penalty, while in April he faced just two.

Prosecutors have not said whether they will seek the death penalty.

Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty to 30 charges in connection with the April 15 bombings at the marathon finish line that killed three and injured more than 260.

Latest Headlines

in Local

Maine Woman Who Foiled Abduction Ready for a Fight

The Maine State Museum worker who prevented the abduction of a 2-year-old girl is a grandmother with a bum knee. But Sharon Wise says there would've been a ``big fight'' if the assailant hadn't given up.

in Local

Maine’s Jobless Rate Down Slightly in November

UNEMPLOYMENT

Maine's jobless rate dipped slightly last month to 5.7 percent.

in Entertainment, Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: Colbert’s star-studded farewell to ‘Report’

21-overlay4

Stephen Colbert bid farewell with the help of scores of celebrities in a rousing sendoff to the tune of "We'll Meet Again."

in Local

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Hiring 715 Workers

GENERIC SHIPYARD LARGE

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard says it's in the process of hiring more than 700 workers.

in Local

Thornton Academy Students Sent Home After Phone Threat

TELEPHONE

All saco schools were put on lockdown this morning as a precation in response to a phone threat.

Tweets

  • 4h
  • 4h
  • 4h
  • 23h
  • 27h
  • 27h
  • 27h