News

Police: man steals body from cemetery, stores it in freezer

Police: man steals body from cemetery, stores it in freezer

In a booking photo from the Detroit Police, Vincent Bright is shown. Bright is charged in the theft of his father's body from a Detroit cemetery after the corpse was discovered in a freezer in his basement. Police say Bright, 49, had hoped to bring his father back to life. Photo: Associated Press/AP Photo/Detroit Police, HOPD

DETROIT (AP) — A man who authorities say stole his father’s body from a Detroit cemetery with the hope of bringing him back to life has been sentenced to probation.

Tuesday’s sentence for Vincent Bright was as expected after the 49-year-old pleaded guilty in August to a charge of disinterring a body.

Wayne County Circuit Court Judge James Chylinski says Bright must stay on mental health medications or face the possibility of jail time.

Bright stole the body of 93-year-old Clarence Bright from Gethsemane Cemetery on Jan. 14 and stored it in a home freezer. Police, acting on a tip from other family members, found the corpse in Vincent Bright’s home on Detroit’s east side.

Police have said Vincent Bright is religious and took the body in hopes his father would be resurrected.

Latest Headlines

in Local

Another Marijuana Legalization Effort For Maine

GENERIC Marijuana-3

Another effort is underway to get marijuana legalization on the ballot in maine.

in Local

Maine Unemployment Rate Down Slightly in February

GENERIC JOBS LARGE

Officials say Maine's unemployment rate ticked down to 5 percent last month.

in Local

Fire Extinguished at Maine Elementary School

GENERIC FIRE LARGE

Fire departments quickly put out a fire in the gym of an elementary school in a small Maine town.

in Local

Maine Hearing on Bats With White Nose Syndrome Set For April

ALL PURPOSE NEWS PHOTO

A bill that proposes to add two bat species that have been severely reduced by white nose syndrome to Maine's endangered species list will be the subject of a public hearing in April.

in Local

Maine National Guard Unit’s Deployment to Kuwait Canceled

GENERIC NATIONAL GUARD

The planned deployment of a Maine National Guard unit to Kuwait next year has been canceled.

Tweets

  • 20h
  • 20h
  • 20h
  • 21h
  • 21h
  • 22h
  • 23h