News

Italy’s foreign minister says divers found bodies of 4 Italians dead in Maldives sea cave

Italy’s foreign minister says divers found bodies of 4 Italians dead in Maldives sea cave

FILE - This undated handout picture released by Greenpeace Italia on Friday, May 15, 2026 shows Monica Montefalcone one of the five Italian scuba divers who died near Alimathaa in the Maldives archipelago while exploring an underwater cave. (Greenpeace via AP, Ho) Photo: Associated Press


By MOHAMED SHARUHAAN and GIADA ZAMPANO Associated Press.
MALE, Maldives (AP) — Italy’s Foreign Ministry said Monday that rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.
Searches had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.
The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.
“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesman.
He said the four were found “pretty much together.”
“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.
The body of a fifth Italian — a diving instructor — was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 meters (160 feet) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 meters (98 feet).
Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.
Maldives presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.
Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.
Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.
___
Zampano reported from Rome. Krishan Francis in Colombo, Sri Lanka contributed.

Latest Headlines

55 minutes ago in Local

Rick Bennett turns in signatures to qualify for Maine governor’s race

Fresh

State Sen. Rick Bennett is the first Independent to turn in petition signatures to appear on the primary ballot for governor.

57 minutes ago in Local

Court documents reveal details in case of Winslow man accused of shooting at CMP substations

Fresh

A federal court has now charged a man accused of shooting three Central Maine Power substations in February.

6 hours ago in Entertainment, Trending

Paul McCartney helps Stephen Colbert say goodbye to ‘The Late Show’ in ambitious final show

Stephen Colbert chatted with Paul McCartney and joined him on stage for a raucous performance of "Hello, Goodbye" on the final broadcast of CBS' "The Late Show" on Thursday night, a bittersweet farewell for a canceled show that still had a few barbs left for the network that ended its 33-year run.

7 hours ago in Sports, Trending

2-time NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after being hospitalized with a ‘severe illness’

Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion who won more races than anyone across NASCAR's three national series, has died. He was 41. The Busch Family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR issued a joint statement Thursday saying Busch died after being hospitalized. No cause of death was given.

20 hours ago in Local

‘Labor Intensive’ Investigation Continues at Searsmont Mill Fire-Explosion Site

Investigators say they have now sifted through hundreds of cubic yards of sawdust and debris.