News

NCAA remains on track to expand to a 76-team March Madness bracket for next season

NCAA remains on track to expand to a 76-team March Madness bracket for next season

Michigan celebrates after defeating UConn in the NCAA college basketball tournament national championship game at the Final Four, Monday, April 6, 2026, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/AJ Mast) Photo: Associated Press


By The Associated Press undefined
The NCAA is still deliberating expanding March Madness on both the men’s and women’s sides to 76 teams for next season — a much-expected development that’s been in the works for years.
The NCAA released a brief statement Tuesday in the wake of an ESPN report that cited unnamed sources saying a decision to add eight teams to the bracket is a mere formality that’s expected in May.
“Expanding the basketball tournaments would require approval from multiple NCAA committees, including the men’s and women’s basketball committees, and no final recommendations or decisions have been made at this time,” the statement said.
Earlier this month at the Final Four, NCAA President Charlie Baker said the committees would, in fact, return to discussing the expansion once this year’s tournament was over.
The tournaments have been at 68 teams since 2011, when four play-in games were added to the beginning of the first week of play. The new format would add eight more at-large teams and take eight more teams out of the main bracket for play-in games.
The expansion isn’t expected to generate a lot more income because it will only add games early in the first week. The current TV deal runs through 2032 and could be tweaked slightly.
Regardless of finances, the expansion would give power conferences more chances to place teams in the bracket — a growing concern as those conferences seek more power and control over college sports in the era of name, image and likeness compensation and the transfer portal.
___
AP March Madness bracket: https://apnews.com/hub/ncaa-mens-bracket and coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/march-madness

Latest Headlines

21 hours ago in Local

Rick Bennett turns in signatures to qualify for Maine governor’s race

State Sen. Rick Bennett is the first Independent to turn in petition signatures to appear on the primary ballot for governor.

21 hours ago in Local

Court documents reveal details in case of Winslow man accused of shooting at CMP substations

A federal court has now charged a man accused of shooting three Central Maine Power substations in February.

1 day ago in Entertainment, Trending

Paul McCartney helps Stephen Colbert say goodbye to ‘The Late Show’ in ambitious final show

Stephen Colbert chatted with Paul McCartney and joined him on stage for a raucous performance of "Hello, Goodbye" on the final broadcast of CBS' "The Late Show" on Thursday night, a bittersweet farewell for a canceled show that still had a few barbs left for the network that ended its 33-year run.

1 day ago in Sports, Trending

2-time NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after being hospitalized with a ‘severe illness’

Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion who won more races than anyone across NASCAR's three national series, has died. He was 41. The Busch Family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR issued a joint statement Thursday saying Busch died after being hospitalized. No cause of death was given.

2 days ago in Local

‘Labor Intensive’ Investigation Continues at Searsmont Mill Fire-Explosion Site

Investigators say they have now sifted through hundreds of cubic yards of sawdust and debris.