News

Maine’s Democratic governor, Janet Mills, to seek 2nd term

Maine’s Democratic governor, Janet Mills, to seek 2nd term

Photo: 560 WGAN Newsradio


PORTLAND, Maine (AP) Maine’s Democratic governor announced Tuesday she will seek a second term in office, setting up a potential contest against a longtime political rival in an election likely to generate national attention and heavy spending.

The leading candidate opposing Gov. Janet Mills is former Gov. Paul LePage, a Republican who often sparred with Mills when she served as the attorney general. Mills became the first female governor in Maine history after she was elected in 2018.

That was also the final year of LePage’s second term, but he decided last year that he would seek a return to office. The Maine Constitution limits a governor to two consecutive terms, but they can run again after sitting out a term.

On Tuesday, Mills touted her stewardship of the state during the COVID-19 pandemic, her work to expand health care and her history of balanced state budgets.

“We have accomplished so much, but I’m running for reelection because there’s so much left to do. It’s time to invest in you, the people of Maine. You are what moves us forward, what makes us strong,” Mills said in a prepared announcement.

The race will be on the national radar in a year in which Democratic governors and lawmakers face tough reelection battles throughout the country. Mills has served as the state’s governor for the entirety of the pandemic and has led the state in a time when Democrats control both houses of the Maine Legislature.

LePage announced his plan to seek reelection in September. The former governor is running on his accomplishments such as lowering the state’s unemployment rate, improving Maine’s fiscal standing and pushing for tax cuts, said Brent Littlefield, a spokesperson for LePage.

“Governor LePage dramatically lowered Maine’s unemployment rate, made us competitive with New Hampshire and our neighbors, put the state’s fiscal house in order, and sustainably increased funding for K-12 education,” Littlefield said in a statement.

The announcement from Mills that she is seeking reelection was not a surprise to Maine’s political class. She has been raising money for months in anticipation of a race for a second term. As of January, she had raised more than $1.6 million, while LePage had raised a little less than $900,000.

Latest Headlines

6 hours ago in Local

26 y/o arrested after stabbing incident at Raymond wedding reception

Deputies identified the suspect as 26-year-old Andrew Manderson, who has been charged with elevated aggravated assault.

21 hours ago in Local

State Fire Marshall’s Office is Investigating a Garage Blaze in Madison

No one was hurt in a house fire that's believed to originated in the wall area of the garage.

2 days ago in Local

Rick Bennett turns in signatures to qualify for Maine governor’s race

State Sen. Rick Bennett is the first Independent to turn in petition signatures to appear on the primary ballot for governor.

2 days ago in Local

Court documents reveal details in case of Winslow man accused of shooting at CMP substations

A federal court has now charged a man accused of shooting three Central Maine Power substations in February.

2 days ago in Entertainment, Trending

Paul McCartney helps Stephen Colbert say goodbye to ‘The Late Show’ in ambitious final show

Stephen Colbert chatted with Paul McCartney and joined him on stage for a raucous performance of "Hello, Goodbye" on the final broadcast of CBS' "The Late Show" on Thursday night, a bittersweet farewell for a canceled show that still had a few barbs left for the network that ended its 33-year run.