News

Portland Rent Board Recommends Record Fine Against Landlord for Rent Control Violations

Portland Rent Board Recommends Record Fine Against Landlord for Rent Control Violations

Photo: 560 WGAN Newsradio


Portland (Portland Press Herald) – The Portland Rent Board has recommended a record $170,500 fine against landlord Geoffrey Rice for repeated violations of the city’s rent control ordinance at two of his properties. The decision marks the board’s most severe action since rent control was implemented in 2021.

Rice, who owns numerous properties across Portland, was found to have unlawfully raised rents at 59 State Street and 655 Congress Street, in some cases overcharging tenants by thousands of dollars. The board ordered him to revert rents at both buildings to December 2022 levels and repay tenants for the excess charges. Tenant advocates estimate the total owed could exceed $300,000.

“This was the biggest set of infractions we’ve seen,” said Rent Board Chair Matt Lax.

The Trelawny Tenants Union, representing residents at 655 Congress Street, presented evidence of over 100 illegal rent increases. In a letter to the board, the union accused Rice of intentionally violating the ordinance, calling his actions “malicious and predatory.”

A city audit of 655 Congress Street uncovered 46 violations affecting 35 units, resulting in a proposed $120,000 fine. An additional $50,500 fine was recommended for violations at 59 State Street. Rice also forfeits any accrued “banked rent” — allowable increases not yet applied — from the past 2.5 years.

One tenant, William Maul, who is not part of the union, submitted a public comment supporting the fine, calling Rice’s actions “a blatant abuse of his authority.”

The board’s ruling, issued June 25, will not be finalized until its next meeting on July 23. After that, the city’s Housing Safety Office will determine whether to enforce the fines or pursue an alternative resolution. Past cases have often ended in settlements or no penalties due to enforcement challenges.

City spokesperson Jessica Grondin said legal staff will advise on next steps once the ruling is finalized. Enforcement has been a persistent issue since rent control began, with critics arguing the city has not done enough to hold landlords accountable. A 2024 investigation found that despite hundreds of complaints, no fines had been issued at that time.

City officials have acknowledged the difficulty of enforcing fines under the current ordinance, which lacks a clear collection mechanism. So far, the city has taken nine landlords, including Rice, to court.

Former Mayor Ethan Strimling, a founding member of the tenants union, expressed concern that the city may not follow through. “It’s only going to be effective if the city steps up and enforces it,” he said.

Lax, however, believes the city has improved enforcement over the past year. “It seems like they are getting effective results,” he said, though he acknowledged the legal process could delay any resolution in Rice’s case.

Latest Headlines

21 hours ago in Local

Rick Bennett turns in signatures to qualify for Maine governor’s race

State Sen. Rick Bennett is the first Independent to turn in petition signatures to appear on the primary ballot for governor.

21 hours ago in Local

Court documents reveal details in case of Winslow man accused of shooting at CMP substations

A federal court has now charged a man accused of shooting three Central Maine Power substations in February.

1 day ago in Entertainment, Trending

Paul McCartney helps Stephen Colbert say goodbye to ‘The Late Show’ in ambitious final show

Stephen Colbert chatted with Paul McCartney and joined him on stage for a raucous performance of "Hello, Goodbye" on the final broadcast of CBS' "The Late Show" on Thursday night, a bittersweet farewell for a canceled show that still had a few barbs left for the network that ended its 33-year run.

1 day ago in Sports, Trending

2-time NASCAR champ Kyle Busch dies at 41 after being hospitalized with a ‘severe illness’

Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion who won more races than anyone across NASCAR's three national series, has died. He was 41. The Busch Family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR issued a joint statement Thursday saying Busch died after being hospitalized. No cause of death was given.

2 days ago in Local

‘Labor Intensive’ Investigation Continues at Searsmont Mill Fire-Explosion Site

Investigators say they have now sifted through hundreds of cubic yards of sawdust and debris.